Corners, cars, dogs and dolls

Sorry that I left you looking at a bag made out of construction paper for over a week. It's almost time to file our tax paperwork here in the States. Which means that I've been avoiding going through the mountain of receipts and have been spring cleaning our cupboards and under the beds instead... I know, I know. I'll be good next week.
.
Anyway, it's quilting month at SewMamaSew (http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/) right now and I've been planning on making my daughter a doll quilt for her birthday for a while now, so, when my aching back convinced me to take an evening off from random furniture moving, this is what I decided to do instead: my first attempt at a quilt.(It's a bit wonky as I didn't smooth it out very well for the photo, sorry - the overcast skies meant outdoor picture taking and I didn't want to press it down on the damp surface)

I'm actually very pleased with it. Mainly because it was only after I started sewing the pieces together that I started wondering about whether the corners would line up and whether it might have been a much better idea to pick a design that didn't have matching corners. I briefly considered stopping and looking for tips on the internet, but the kids were in bed and these peaceful moments are scarce around here. The idea of quilting has scared me for some time now, so I decided to jump right in / seize the moment / strike when the iron was hot (literally) etc. You get the idea. That, and I didn't want to get scared off by reading more obscure quilting terminology...
.
I was pretty surprised, therefore, when the corners did in fact meet up - especially as I was just using my old and cracked school set square.
The dog is my own drawing. K loves dogs, so it seemed appropriate. Thank you for your tips on how to put an embroidery pattern on the fabric. I used one of those disappearing ink pens on this one and that made it very easy peasy. Now I've just got to stuff, quilt and bind the edges on this thing. It would probably be a good idea to look up how to do that on the internet, I'm guessing...
.
Meanwhile, today's word(s) of the day translation is related to automobiles:
UK English: boot = trunk in US English
UK English: bonnet = hood in US English
UK English: wing = fender in US English
UK English: windscreen = windshield in US English
UK English: tyre = tire in US English
.
A couple are self-explanatory, others will leave a US mechanic looking at your shoes with a puzzled expression, when you tell him that your daughter has locked the car keys in your boot. As happened to my friend and her family. Despite the mechanic's obvious concern about her father's sanity, he was eventually convinced to follow him to the vehicle where, with a bit of pointing, all became clear...
.
Take care all.


7 comments:

  1. Interesting... this morning while still in bed I commented that nobody says motorist or motoring anymore...I was told it's 'British English'.
    I like it better, that's all... note that my opinion doesn't count as I am French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly love the dog. Utterly.

    Have you encountered the hilarity that ensues when an American and a Brit attempt a conversation about "pants"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your translation lessons for us. I figured out that the boot must be the trunk before looking at the answer. LOL! I remember in school learning that a diaper is a napkin in the UK. Is that right? WAY different thing to us here in the US. LOL! LOVE your quilt. You did a fantabulous job, and I love your embroidery. I know of an awesome how-to video to make your binding look great. If you want to email me I'll send you the link. Here's my email:tooterbell@gmail.com Links never work when I try to post them in the comments section.
    LOL!about you not posting a recipe. Hopefully you'll join my next blog challenge. I'm not sure what It'll be yet, but I'm not giving up on my challenge idea. I think blog challenges are so fun! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the little dog. It adds the perfect touch to the quilt! I'm going to have to search through your blog to find those tips you mentioned from your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt! Your choice of fabric for all the squares is gorgeous. You are so talented. The dog is also great. You amaze me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I'm sooo afraid of quilting too. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours and the little doggie - it looks very well pieced. Ahem, unlike mine where no corners are destined to meet!!!

    ReplyDelete