A stitch not in time

The flower? Absolutely nothing to do with this post. I was just playing around with my camera. I came to the conclusion that I need to tend to our garden again. Maybe I should post the picture I took of a rose and ask if you know why our roses have spots on... No beautiful snow pictures here. Since our local mountains got a dumping of snow my husband hasn't had any free days off work and hasn't got any in the upcoming week, either. I hope we get to spend a night up in the mountains soon - I need at least a day or two of winter a year. I wonder if there's an annual equivalent to the body's circadian rhythm. I'm sure that my body clock would be off kilter if I didn't get my winter fix.
.
Oh well, I'm sure there's some poor soul somewhere, snowed in, thinking that California's lack of a winter sounds rather nice. Meanwhile, this is what the locals call 'winter' (yes, there were several people in the ocean without wetsuits on): Sorry. I'll get back to the actual post now.

I have now knitted using double-pointed needles, I have now knitted a sock (ok, stocking, to be more precise) and I have now felted. The verdict?

Felting: I do like the result. I'm not so keen on the fact that it took an hour. Did I have stubborn wool, or are they just having a laugh at my expense when they suggest checking on the progress every 5 minutes?

Double-pointed needles: A lot easier than it looks. I felt like I was getting a slight join line when switching onto a new needle, though, even when pulling it tight.
.
Socks: I have a lot of respect for those clever ladies that knit socks, especially using that teeny thread like yarn. I don't understand them, but I respect them. I don't think I'll ever knit a sock. Maybe it's because I wear plain socks on the rare occasion that I get to wear socks around here. Maybe it's because it would probably take me a year to knit a single sock using that teeny yarn...

I followed a toe-up pattern from a Knit It! magazine (nb. Does this magazine no longer exist?). At least I didn't have to worry about whether it would fit. Here's the photographic proof:One felted stocking. 2 weeks after Christmas...

PS. The 40 eggs are gone. A further 30 Cadbury's Creme Eggs have been purchased. If it wasn't English chocolate I might think that I had a problem...

2 comments:

  1. You are so darn talented...it makes me quite jealous!

    Cadbury Creme Eggs, huh?! If it makes you happy, it can't be so bad...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always envy beach photos during this time of year. But when I think about it, I think I would miss the winter weather. I grew up in New England (Massachusetts). The New York winters seem so much tamer by comparison.

    The one thing that bothers me about felting is having to knit something so big and end up with a smaller product. I feel like I wasted so mcuh time knitting.

    Your sock looks great!

    ReplyDelete