Stick a pin in it

I had some Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door this week and our chat ended with them looking at their watches and saying that they must get going. I haven't really come across Jehovah's Witnesses before, but judging by the usual stereotype shown on movies and sitcoms, I guessing that that's not how these encounters usually end... This has led me to wonder if I maybe should be getting out more and engaging in a little more adult conversation. By adult, I do mean grown-up and not x-rated, by the way - just in case you were wondering if this blog was about to take an unexpected turn...
.
The only adult I have come into contact with today, though, is my husband. He's not the talkative type, unless you count the random phrases he yells at the computer when playing some game that fights WWII all over again (I have tried explaining to him that that war is over). This is my way of explaining why I probably waffle on usually.
.
I tried some embroidery this week. This was all just freehand, but I was wondering what do people use when they want to put some pattern lines on the fabric for them to stitch along. Do you use that transfer pen, which is permanent, and just try and cover it with the stitches?
The end result was this pincushion. I did learn that it is a bad idea to sew felt while wearing a top with Velcro fastenings on the sleeves. The stitch I tried was a chain stitch, I think. Hopefully the kids will leave this plain and boring pincushion alone, as they seem to find the apple and pear pincushions fascinating (not what I want when I'm trying to sew...).
.
I'll leave you with another picture of our so-called winter. A tip for non-locals: you can tell that it is winter because if you enlarge it you will see that there is a man wearing a long-sleeved shirt instead of a short-sleeved shirt...
Take care all.

12 comments:

  1. It's not a plain and boring pin cushion!! It came out beautifully! I'm afraid I can't help with your embroidery question though....I haven't been brave enough to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jen! When you said "plain and boring cushion", I was wondering which one you were talking about and then realised you were talking about this one! It's lovely.

    I'd also like to know what people use to mark out embroidery patterns, I've just started dabbling myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I've seen people do just use a transfer pen which is permanent. The transfer iron-on patterns are permanent too. You could check out www.sublimestitching.com for some ideas, she has a bunch of great tools on there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful that my formerly stereotypical view, and to be honest, prejudice against Jehovah's Witness was broken to bits this year bu actually getting to know a family of this faith. Being able, or willing, to take the time to stop and learn and imagine the world from an entirely different point of view is a worthwhile endeavor. It is hard, as a mama to young children, to find time and opportunity for adult conversation and I hope you can find some new opportunities in your community (although not necessarily just with people who come to your door) to make some new connections. Your pin cushion is worthy of a craft magazine -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pincushion is lovely! I use a pen that fades over time for marking out embroidery patterns or words. It says 'Prym Trickmarker' on the side but I'm sure you'd be able to get them in a sewing shop. Sometimes it fades really quickly and you have to stich fast! If it doesn't fade and like me you are completing a gift at the last minute you can rub it gently with a bit of warm water and it fades.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the embroidery on that pincushion!
    I know what you mean about adult conversation. I'm not sure I'd know how to talk to someone over 10If I had to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I LOVE that pin cushion. My Lu would be all over that sucker, LOL. :)

    I teach HS kids all day and you'd think that'd be enough convo for me, but I still feel like I haven't spoken a "real" word in weeks sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your freehand embroidery is to be envied!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the embroidery! It came out really nice...especially since you did it freehand. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your pincushion is lovely...and i get a kick out of hearing your struggles with the velcro...very funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful! I use either an iron on pattern, a transfer pencil which I draw my design on baking paper and iron the paper design onto the fabric or a purple fabric marker. It has two ends - purple which fades in 2-14 days (thats what they say but it's usually gone by the morning so it's only for filling in gaps or marking a sewing line) and the white end which makes the purple vanish straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete