Knitting needles finally coralled

Happy New Year! (I should probably tell you now that this isn't going to be a post full of inspiring resolutions).
.
I have finished something that I have been wanting to make for months, though. The final impetus was a lengthy search to find the matching knitting needle to a #2. Here's my knitting needle roll-up case:
It's just a very basic case. I have probably already mentioned that I am the slowest knitter in the West. I think I am unlikely to ever need hundreds of needles and accessories. So, there's just a single line of pockets, with some wider pockets on the right. I do have some double-pointed needles etc. but they're currently holding the stitches of works-in-progress, so you'll just have to imagine them over there on the empty side.It isn't actually wonky with wavy stitching lines. It just didn't occur to me that it would be a good idea make sure that I had smoothed it flat before taking the photo - or even better, ironing it so that it would look less crumpled... Ok, so I also spoke too fast when I said that it was finished: there's going to be a ribbon sewn across above the printed fabric panel, to help keep the needles neat. I just can't make up my mind on whether to add labels for the needles to it. I have commitment issues...
I feel like I should be closing with some deep meaningful plan for my new year or at least a declaration that I do have resolutions after all and that I'm not a weak-willed person with no plans for self-improvement. The problem is that Cadbury's creme eggs are on sale, my local swimming pool is closed for maintenance and my husband has switched back to the night shift. My days are spent trying to keep the kids quiet while daddy sleeps and eating chocolate egg after chocolate egg (Hey, normally you can't buy English chocolate here except in an expensive import store. Yes, I did buy 40...). I'll be good later in the year.
.
Ok, I will say this: having this blog does inspire me to get on and make things - and finish them. As mentioned previously, I do have commitment issues. Just picking which fabric to cut up for a project isn't easy, as that cut is oh so final. So here's to a New Year of less hesitation and more progress on my to-do list.
.
Wishing you all the best for 2008. Take care.
.
PS.The kids knocking over the Christmas tree and one of the light bulbs breaking on my head (large amount of blood, but only a tiny cut) brought a premature end to the 12 days of Christmas. All decorations are now packed away. We originally acquired a fake tree when we had a puppy in the house, but I've been using it since, as I can bend the ends of the branches back to secure the ornaments on. Maybe next year I can have a real tree - with glass ornaments on!

6 comments:

  1. The needle roll is lovely. I feel the same way about cutting into my fabrics. I think that's why I collect the fabric more than I sew. LOL!

    Yes, having a blog definitely is a motivating factor for me to keep creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thinking is that you can't really enjoy the fabrics you buy and don't use -- they sit there, making you feel guilty (for me, anyway) and you don't see them. Once you use something, you have it to see, to enjoy, and to spark new ideas and new projects. I'm pretty straightforward about just picking up something and using it, and I don't angst too much about "perfect." Your fabric choices for your needle roll are gorgeous, and it came out beautifully. If it were mine, I wouldn't mark the need sizes, just to keep things flexible, but that's me and I'm not a knowledgeable knitter.

    As far as your children and the tree -- again, everyone is different but we've always had a real tree with all the glass ornaments and made clear to our son that the tree was to look at and not to touch. When he was little, we'd let him hang the non-breakable stuff first, and then we'd put on the special things (but at all heights, not just out of his reach). He's almost 10 now so it's a moot point, but I believe that setting expectations and expecting the best from kids can lead to getting the best from them, for what that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the knitting needle roll....I'm thinking I'm going to have to try to make up a few of these. My mom and I are CONSTANTLY losing the "twin" to our needles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the knitting needle roll. That is a project I hadn't thought of making before. And who can resist Cadbury eggs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post cracked me up! A first-time reader of your blog and I am hooked by the very first post that I read! I've been thinking I need to corral my knitting and crochet needles as well, but of course I didn't plan ahead when I was making my son a colored-pencil case for Christmas-it would have been so much easier to make them conveyor belt style. Now it seems like too much touble to look through all of my fabric and cut out and set-up everything...pass me one of those Cadbury eggs, will you?!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was the only one who counted Cadbury eggs not individually, but in the dozens. I visited London once, and I thought I was in heaven when I saw entire vending machines full of Cadbury products. Ahhh, happiness.

    ReplyDelete