Carrot needed

I have some good news for you all: I won't be complaining about the local lack of a winter for the next few weeks - well, not as much, anyway (I have heard of people suffering from seasonal mood disorders, most likely due to the reduced light in winter time, but I wonder if it's possible to be depressed because of too much sunshine and warmth in winter?). Anyway, we were finally able to sneak in a quick trip up into the local mountains. Lovely cold weather and, more importantly, SNOW! Pure bliss.
We were only able to go for one night, but those 2 days of sledging and playing in the snow were great, even if my husband was a tad grouchy. Here's our Southern Californian snowman - and no, we're not any better at building sand castles...
J wasn't impressed that we didn't have a carrot for the snowman's nose. Most of the work was done by a most dedicated 2 year old K. She was pretty pleased to find him still standing on day two.
.
As for the kimono top at the beginning of this post... I think I need to start a new category for all these baby gifts that I chicken out of giving. One of my neighbours had a baby recently. I only know her to wave to, so I thought it would be nice to give a wee gift for the little one. I won't lie, I was hoping that she'd have a girl, just because they seem to be easier to make things for, especially if you're scared of sewing knits like me.
.
She had a boy. So I ummed and ahhed, but kept persuading myself out of various ideas, as I have no clue what their taste is. I ended up deciding on a kimono top, with the reasoning that even if they don't like it, it's still a simple wee top that the kid can wear about the house, or as an extra layer at night etc. So I made the top pictured above. I then showed it to my husband and he looked puzzled and said, "they had a boy". The kid got a store-bought gift.
.
I know, I know. I was actually going to do a more masculine button and loop closures instead of the ties, but at the last minute I worried about buttons being a possible choking hazard and killing my vague acquaintance's child...
.
As for the previous ungifted baby gift (http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2007/12/wee-little-shoes.html), the baby booties are still a work-in-progress. One very sweet commenter (no e-mail link) said she would be interested in them, but I fear that any intended recipient of hers would probably have grown out of them by the time I get around to finishing them (I really do not like knitting with that yarn). Thank you ever so much for the confidence boost, though.
.
nb. When I first came to America I was completely confused by Americans using the word knit for what I called t-shirt material (ok, so that's probably not the technical term, even for English people). I thought knits were, well, woolly knitted things, made from yarn. Calling some clothes sportswear when you blatantly shouldn't wear them for playing sports also caused some bemusement. I kept showing up to the wrong sales...
.
Oh well, more on that subject next time. Our local tornado warning is over, so this scaredy-pants is off to bed. Take care all.
.
Edit: forgot to mention, the kimono pattern is Martha Stewart's baby kimono pattern - I think you can find it on her website.

10 comments:

  1. I'm somewhat of a drive-by blog reader (read that picture browser) but I've been sitting here reading and laughing! You have a great sense of humor! I love the kimono and didn't think it at all girly. Where did you find the pattern?

    I'm longing for winter weather. I'm in your camp and feel depressed without snow and icy cold winter weather.

    At least now you won't feel as though you were talking to yourself!

    Jen in TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, forgot to say: it's the Martha Stewart baby kimono pattern again.

    Thanks! I did think that it would be ok to give, as newborns can get away with stuff like that. Still, maybe it will fit one of K's bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so know how you feel with the chickening-out thing..... sometimes I wonder if people think I'm trying to be cheap by making gifts, even though they take so much more time, (and sometimes more money!) to make....

    My advice - give all your beautiful gifts to fellow crafters!

    LOVE the snow. Such is the climate in my part of Australia that I have never even SEEN real snow. Tragic.

    Cheers,

    Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the kimono is great! When I made it, I thought about doing a different sort of closure, but I just love the ties too much. I suggest giving your neighbor the shirt anyway. It's so cute, and it's blue, and little babies can wear ties. I'm a big believer in babies dressing like babies, not just really short adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never understood why the people who name clothing name them the things they do! It took me a long time to realize I was supposed to shop in 'misses' instead of 'women's' due to size!
    And I wish you would have given the kimono top! I think it's appropriately boysish and I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog, I too live in SoCal. I too am a transplant, although it was so long ago, this now is home.
    Jacquie
    www.mysewcalledlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another vote in favor of the kimono top, and of forging ahead and giving the things you make! I agree that buttons could have been a hazard, and that the top is perfectly appropriate for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the kimono. I would have put it on a boy (if I had one, which I don't).

    Knit fabric is called that because it is knitted, only really teeny and with cotton thread. I don't know what they call it in England though!

    Anyway, hello from another Californian (and secret Anglophile), only up north. I clicked on a picture of your pretty pincusion and ended up here!

    --dangermom

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet thought to make a baby gift for your neighbor. The kimono top is precious. Glad you got to get up to the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the snowman! The you and the kids did a great job. I am so glad you made it to the snow:) The Komono is adorable. I think it looks boyish or girlish-that is what makes it so great.

    ReplyDelete