Barns, Bags, Blankets, Books and, well, not much else

SewMamaSew (http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/) is a great source for tutorials and inspiration. They had gift ideas posted daily in November - which is far too late for people like me, who need to time to get up the courage to start a project (really), but it is appreciated and bookmarked for future use. They are doing a meme right now and are asking people to answer some questions, so here goes with my answers:

Gifts
Do you have a favorite gift that you love to give?
Nope. I try to cater the gifts to the individuals as much as possible. Probably the only gifts that I have made several times over are crocheted baby blankets or personalised softie books (see previous entry below) for new babies.

If you’re making gifts this year, what are you making? (Post photos if you have some!) I don't do many home made gifts, as I'm just a beginner at this sewing / knitting / crocheting lark and I'm not sure how much they would be appreciated by my family and in-laws etc. This Christmas I did make that softie book for a new member of my family in England and this bag for my son's preschool teacher, to hold the card he made and the wee box of English chocolates that we're giving her:

I used the clutch pattern in Bend the Rules Sewing (by Amy Karol). Here's a picture showing the lining:

My kids are my main victims, though, as they're too young to complain. The fabric barn up top is my main gift for my 2 year old daughter this year. I forgot how slow I am at hand sewing, but it's finally finished. Well, I had planned on doing some things to the interior, but that will have to wait until after Christmas...It's actually fabric - and batting - covered wood, so hopefully it will hold up to my kids' play. The front unbuttons, so that K can play with her animals on a mat area in front. Here's the view from above, just promise me that you won't enlarge it to have a look at my stitches - the deadline was fast approaching and panic was starting to set in...As for my son, I found a great wooden tool set for him during our trip to the UK, so I'll probably just wait until after Christmas to make him the few little gifts that I had planned. I'm making a softie book tomorrow for a friend to give to her cousin and there's only a few days left after that. I might just use them for tidying and relaxing (unlikely, but it sounds good).
.
Do you have any good stories about handcrafted gifts you've given or received? My kids have had some lovely knitted and crocheted baby blankets given to them, which will always be treasured. One of the reasons that I taught myself to crochet and knit was so that future generations will have someone to make blankets for them.
.
My dad used to often make things out of wood for us when we were children: my brothers were given a fort and a train set up, while I was given a farm and a doll house. My parents still have them for their grandchildren to play with.
.
Do you have any great gift compilation ideas (a grouping of gifts just perfect for certain recipients?) No, I've only done compilations for baby showers.
.
Name one thing on your personal wish list. Apart from peace and goodwill for all, you mean? A digital camera would be nice - but hopefully my husband knows that he shouldn't get one 'til I've done the research. I've saved up my birthday money for a couple of years, so just the promise that he will drive me to camera shops to shop around, without complaining, would be a great gift.
.
Do you make and sell things that would make fantastic gifts? (Link) Nope - maybe one day.


Are you still there? Sorry, this was a long post. There's also a section on traditions in the meme, but I think that I answered most of those questions a couple of posts ago, in my post on traditions, and anyone who has tried my cooking will probably tell you that you don't need any recipe ideas from me!

Take care of yourselves - and I'll wish you a Merry Christmas now, in case I don't stop by before then. I need to buy some food, do some gift wrapping and get this house looking a bit presentable. Not too long a to-do list, but then you can't see the mess my house is in...

16 comments:

  1. You are SO DARN TALENTED!

    I would be happy just being half as talented as you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute!! I saw it on the Sew, Mam, Sew Flikr group....just adorable. I'm sure your kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful projects. I have that Amy Karol book but haven't tried any projects in yet. This bag on the book cover is what prompted me to buy it.

    Love the little barn too. That's really cute.


    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your barn is just gorgeous. K is a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The barn is great! Can't wait to see what you add after Christmas. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the barn! Very cute. I hopped over here from sew mama sew. I love making stuff like this. This year, I made my 2 yr old a little pocketed carrying case for 10 brand new matchbox cars (his first set) It was fun. I'll have to try to make this barn at some point too!

    btw, glad I was able to help make you feel like you're not talking to yourself. Often that's how my blog gets too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Did you make the barn from a pattern? Will you do a tutorial for all of us who are sitting in front of the computer with our jaws to the desk?? That's such a cute gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the sweet comments.

    Katie, I didn't use a pattern - I just made it up as I went along - but I have been having a few ideas on how to make another version of it. If they work, I'll put a pattern together for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yes please - I would also LOVE a tutorial for this - what a fab idea - it looks great - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that barn. It's so great. It sure beats the one my daughter has that has many plastic parts that come apart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was trying to find a fabric dollhouse and came across your pics. The house and barn are adorable. Thank you so much for posting them and the tutorial on how to make them. I know my daughter and my grandson both will enjoy them. You've given me a wonderful project. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete