It's all gone pear-shaped


My apple pincushion was originally inspired by a pear pincushion (seen here: http://mypiccalilli.blogspot.com/2007/02/pear-shaped.html), so I decided to try my hand at making a pear pincushion, too. So, here's the pear pincushion tutorial: it's made in exactly the same way as the apple pincushion (instructions found here: http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2007/11/apple-pin-cushion-tutorial.html) except that you omit the part about creating an indent in the top. The template for the pear:
.
.
Now, the apple is a more forgiving shape, as it appears more realistic if it's a little uneven. The above template was just quickly hand drawn with a dying pen around the paper template I had made to make my pear. I think that the pear turns out best when the template is symetrical, so it may be best to fold the template in half and trim off any uneven bits, so that both halves are the same - and then be careful to follow the lines when sewing it up.
.
Enjoy.
PS. I've set up a flickr group for anyone who wants to post their version of anything on my blog at http://www.flickr.com/groups/lil_d/pool/. If you make one of these pincushions, please do post - I'd love to see how they turn out.























18 comments:

  1. Great projects! I've bookmarked your blog and I'll be back to see what you post next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I also like your "comment" title. It made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lil'D! I'll have to try your template. It looks fairly similar to mine. I'm new to sewing so I think I'm actually going to trace out a stitch line too and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo cute! Thanks for the pattern......will give it a try sometime. Happy Holidays to you and your family, Laurie~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I enjoyed making your fabric pears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to contact you about including this project in a published sewing calendar, but I can't find your email anywhere. Can you email me so I can give you the details? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your comment title is hysterical. I'll be making this tomorrow (hopefully) and will def post a pic of my finished pear! I have been looking for a good pear pin cushion so thanks a ton for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear,
    my pear looks like its been on steroids!
    Must scale down the size before trying again
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason it seems to print out large for some other people, so it's probably a good idea to resize it before you print it, if the pattern is looking large. One of these days I'll get a pdf writer..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have made a red one...
    http://sewperstitious.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/ist-da-jemand/

    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I have made your pear design and really love your tutorials. It tells all. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are very nice :) Can't wait to make one. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for this and the apple patterns! They are so cute, and I have just tried them and I am completely in love with the result. I also obviously linked your tutorial on my blog!
    Thank you so much!!! and congraturations for all your lovely crafts

    federica
    (an italian lass in the uk ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. superbe la petite maison, tu fais des jolies creations.....jádore !!!!!! le tuto merçi gross bissous
    http://babuskaraquel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete