Apple pin cushion tutorial


This would be what my mother would call the 'blind leading the blind', but I have had a few people ask me about how to make the apple pin cushion, so here's the template I made up:

Print off the template after enlarging / reducing it to the size you desire. Trace around the template onto six fabric scraps and cut them out, leaving a small seam allowance. Make sure that you keep the fabric pieces all facing the same way up, with the wider end being towards the top. Putting the right sides of the fabric together, sew piece 1 and 2 together along the one edge. Then sew a piece 3 onto the unsewn edge of piece 2 (right sides together again).

If you turn it right sides out it will look like half a sphere:

Repeat this with pieces 4, 5 and 6, so you have 2 half spheres.
.
.
.
To make the stalk, cut out a narrow strip of brown felt and roll it up tightly, sewing it closed with small stitches to prevent it from unrolling. I leave a small part at the base of the stalk unsewn, to make it easier to sew this to the main part of the apple.

Sew the felt stalk onto the wider end of one of the half spheres, leaving a long loose thread trailing out the bottom. Sew the two half spheres together, leaving a small gap by the base on the final side for turning. Turn the apple right side out through the gap, then stuff. Make sure the loose thread from the stalk is still trailing out the bottom of the apple. Hand sew the gap closed, then pull of the loose thread to create an indent in the sphere (so that it looks apple shaped) and attach the loose thread to the base once you have it at the tension you desire. I then like to sew a tiny scrap of felt onto the bottom to resemble the bit on the bottom of an apple and to also cover up all of the knotted off threads. Voila.
.
Clear as mud?
.
PS. This is a very forgiving shape as it often appears more realistic if the end result is a bit on the wonky side...
PPS. Just posted the tutorial for a pear pincushion here: http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2007/11/its-all-gone-pear-shaped.html
PPPS. I've set up a flickr group for anyone who wants to post their version of anything on my blog at http://www.flickr.com/groups/lil_d/pool/. If you make one of these pincushions, please do post - I'd love to see how they turn out.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. Makes sense to me so I guess it is crystal clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Must try this sometime soon.
    Bookmarking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm going to edit my Pincushion post and add your wonderful tutorial to it! Thanks for the heads up!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I'm going to link to this in my blog www.sewwhattoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. very simple to follow with great results! thanking you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great tutorial! I made an apple and a pear for a pincushion swap I'm doing. Here's my post about the apple http://hazelnutgirl.blogspot.com/2010/10/pincushion-swap-is-for-apple.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for posting this tutorial! I am making it tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the reason I love this shape is that I can perch my thimble on the
    apple stem....
    Apple Annie

    ReplyDelete