Waiting for winter

It's hot, hot, hot here today. I'm a winter person: I'm simply not designed to take this heat. Plus my hair needs only the slightest hint of humidity (or perspiration) to start springing random nutty curls and frizz. Not pretty... I would have some pictures of nice airy summer tops for you if my husband had been willing to take me to get my films developed, but... well, he wasn't. So here's some pictures of a winter coat instead. nb. My daughter doesn't believe in standing still for pictures...

I know, I know, it's too hot to even look at photos of a winter coat, but they are kind of relevent to the present. I suddenly realised that K might need a coat in England, but I've been dithering: is it a bad idea to start an involved project when I've still got lots to do before the trip? I'm really hoping that K hasn't grown too much, so I can make her another coat like this for this coming winter out of the leftover material.
Anyway, about the coat: I love this material with all its subtle colours - found on clearance at Jo~ann's. Unfortunately there wasn't much left (please let there be enough to squeeze out another bigger coat). It immediately reminded me of my winter coat that I had as a child. The pattern is Simplicity 4712 B, but I got rid of the pleat in the back and replaced it with a seam and a slit at the bottom (kind of visible in the middle pic above). I also didn't do the puffy sleeves either. This was my first attempt at following a pattern, so it was a little nerve-wracking, to say the least. K liked the end result, though.


  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and leaving a nice comment. I'm sorry you lost your grampy around the same time as Diana. It is so hard to deal with all of that at once.

    Love the coat you made. You did a great job, and it's impressive that you deviated from the pattern, and it came out that perfectly. I sew a lot, but I really hate patterns. They are very tedious to me. I mostly make purses. I love that I can just start with a piece of material, and I'm not tortured with those pattern pieces. LOL!

  2. Ok, I love this coat and I'm heading out to buy the pattern now! Hope it's still available.

  3. That coat is adorable and so is your girl! i look forward to one day dressing a sweet baby gal. You did an amazing job for following your first pattern.

  4. Wow... A coat is one thing I would love to tackle for my little one and for some reason it scares the daylights out of me. Yours is gorgeous. Love it.

  5. Gorgeous coat, I love the style and the fabric you chose. I'd like one just like that for myself!

  6. Oh you clever thing - that coat is so dear. I can't believe this was your first ever sewing pattern...that's a very brave first step!

    Florence x