Up, up and away

Still no camera - or car.

So... I'll show you what my son and I made a while ago. He's got an old-fashioned transportation theme going on in his room, with small copies of vintage boat / car / train / plane posters, the odd wooden model car etc.. So when I saw a picture of one of the early hot air balloons (similar to this: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/AVvauxhall.htm), I thought it might be fun to make a papier-mâché hot air balloon.

Needless to say, my son loved ripping up the paper: lots of newspaper for the first few layers, then all the blue that I could find in old magazines for the top layer, followed by a few weeks of telling him that, no, he was not to rip up every piece of paper in the house that he came across...

Yes, I did end up hand knotting the net out of string - I spent a couple of days looking, but couldn't remember where I had seen small nets for sale... then found one the day after I had made one. Yes, that kind of thing happens to me a lot.

These pictures were taken on one of the films that my camera chewed up, if you were wondering about the greenish stripes. I did play around with the photos to lessen these stripes, but now you can't see how the blue paper pieces are arranged in vertical stripes on the balloon. Oh well. Hopefully I'll soon have a new camera and won't have to keep apologising on every post for the picture quality.

1 comment:

  1. What a great activity to do with your son! And while I'm sure it was disappointing to find the nets for sale when you were done, I'm impressed that you could do it so nicely on your own.

    ReplyDelete